Today’s the day when Season 20 is released on DVD and Blu-Ray, bypassing the natural order of the release of seasons 13 – 19. Normally in these updates we detail all the special features contained in said shiny new release. Not this time. Not because I’m a jerk. But because Fox decided not to include any this time. So what am I to fill the rest of the post with? How about:
Ten Reasons To NOT Buy This Set:
- Despite usually being a talking point for Matt Groening in his DVD introductions, this set does not have a commentary for every single episode. How many commentaries do you get, I hear you ask? Zero. Big. Fat. Zero. What’s Matt Groening got to say about that in his intro? Oh yeah that’s right — he isn’t given one on this set.
- Okay I lied, you get one special feature. A sneak peek of the 20th Anniversary Special. In 3D! On Ice! What’s that, you watched the entire thing last night? You and 13 million other people who now have no reason to own this ‘complete set’!
- Despite them being readily accessible due to the time since these episodes were produced, no deleted scenes have been included on this set. No deleted scenes! What they kept in must have been pure gold!
- You watched these episodes already in the last twelve months. Were they really that great that you must see them all again, today? Over Season 13?
- Free cast poster! If you’re lucky. Some have already reported that their set has omitted this bonus feature.
- The cover does not match the rest of the series at all.
- The Blu-Ray version does not contain a booklet detailing the episodes. Just a one-page slip with the episode titles on it. Handy, considering you paid more for this set!
- The discs are contained within everybody’s favorite drink-coaster creator — the same cardboard packaging used in Seasons 11 and 12. Why purchase your drink coasters when you can instantly turn your Simpsons DVDs into instant scratch-heavy coasters simply by inserting and removing your discs from the box for general usage!
- The disc menus are a plain black screen with single-color line-drawings. Further emphasizing that Fox rushed this release out to make a quick buck, without a care in the world about what true fans want out of a season release.
- The *proper* release in 2014 will have everything it was supposed to have.
You can purchase this box set at Amazon or any good retailer, but remember you’re only purchasing it for the episodes in Season 20, which wont cost you a cent if you download them.